Saturday, June 1, 2013

Jieun Choi/Reaction Essay/Tue 9am



            Last February, I traveled to Kansai, Japan for a week. Especially in Kansai, I visited Osaka and Kyoto, which are the two representative cities in that area. I literally took hundreds of photo because I wanted to capture the moments that gave joy to me. After I came back to Seoul, I went through the pictures I took. There were a few photos that I really liked, and these are one of them that I took in Kyoto.

The first photo was taken from Sannenzaka of Kyoto. In this photo, we can see the traditional Japanese houses standing in the row, very close to each other. These houses are about two-story-tall wooden houses. In the foreground, there are Japanese style umbrellas, which grab our eyes. These add Japanese-like atmosphere to this photo. Also, at the upper side of the photo, there is bare tree that adds seasonal information. And the sky with gradation of orange and blue makes the photo colorful, and adds warmness to it.

The next photo was taken from Kingakuji. The first thing that comes into our mind is the Kingakuji itself, which is the shiny golden temple. It's not a big temple, but it grabs our eyes by its splendid color and shape. Then, you see the nature around it. In the foreground, we can see the pond with gentle ripple. Then, we see the numerous trees in the background with blue sky. By taking the photo with putting Kingakuji on the right side, it seems like Kingakuji is surrounded by the nature.

To compare, I can feel peacefulness from both photos. The first photo seems peaceful to me because of the sunset and houses. These houses are all stores right now, but I heard that people actually lived here a long time ago. In this photo, I can imagine a peaceful evening that people going back to their home where their family are waiting for them. In the next photo, I can feel calmness from the subject temple itself, and all the natures surrounding it. Under the sun, the temple is shining, the lake is tranquil and trees are standing still. The impressions of these photos are quite different, but they all give some peacefulness to me.

In contrast, however, both photos give different impressions to me due to the difference in contrast. The first photo has a higher contrast with sky and the houses, so it gives stronger feeling of evening. The second photo, however, has relatively lower contrast than the first photo. So, every elements' colors in this photo seems more colorful than the first photo. 

2 comments:

  1. 1. Last February, I traveled to Kansai, Japan for a week. Especially in Kansai, I visited Osaka and Kyoto, which are the two representative cities in that area. I literally took hundreds of photo because I wanted to capture the moments that gave joy to me

    her story made me cruious about her writing.

    2. actually not. Because the writer took picture them by her self.

    3. foreground, background , mood, contrast

    4. Yes , she is doing.
    5. Yes, there are similarities and differences in the 4 paragraph.

    6. The first photo seems peaceful to me because of the sunset and houses.
    - it delivers writer's opinion better.

    7. Not actually.

    5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Ji Eun Choi From Ju Hye Choi

    1. Yes, it includes an interesting hook. “I literally took hundreds of photo because I wanted to capture the moments that gave joy to me. “
    2. Does the writer use any photographic terms: foreground, background, mood, contrast.
    3. Did the writer analyze the message of each photograph? Yes.
    4. Does paragraph 4 explain the similarities and differences between the two photographs: Yes.
    5. Similes: no similes.
    6. If there could be one thing you can change to make it better, maybe include the compare and contrast altogether in paragraph 4 and end with a solid paragraph concluding a summary of what you have said so far. Overall, it was pleasure to read. It made me want to visit Kansai someday. :)

    ReplyDelete